Wednesday, May 13, 2015

We ARE Disruptors

We are disruptors, and - yes - proud of it. I am happy that we disrupt the status quo. I am happy that we present an alternative to consumers. If the legal world had properly served consumers, we would not exist. Legal document preparers are here to stay. We have a foothold. Around 70% of family law litigants are pro se -- self represented. Many of the self-represented employ legal document preparers to prepare their paperwork. Some of them cannot possibly afford an attorney. Others have no desire to retain an attorney. And still others have no need for an attorney.

If, we legal document preparers, present a viable alternative for consumers - then why not? Consumers who cannot afford an attorney are not lost clients for attorneys - it was never possible for them to be attorneys' clients at all. Price being the governing factor. It makes no sense for Mercedes Benz to be upset with Kia for stealing their customers. Not the same customer, not the same demographic.

Some consumers can well afford an attorney but choose not to retain counsel. They either feel that they can easily handle their legal affairs themselves, or feel that an attorney will cause them to spend money needlessly.

Still other consumers do not need an attorney at all. They only need papers. They only need documents prepared; they are well aware of their rights and issues; and there is no legal dispute. Many of these consumers realize that if they retained counsel, it is quite possible that an attorney could create a dispute where none existed before. No dispute = no billable hours.

I have no goal to malign attorneys. They don't need my help in discrediting their profession. The numbers speak for themselves. Since 70% of family law litigants are attorney free - one can only surmise that a fair percentage of them could afford counsel if they chose.

I, as a legal document preparer, receive some attorney referrals. One of the attorneys who refers to me [we'll call him John] has done so for the past several years and I am rarely able to reciprocate, as he really only wants family law mediation clients. And I rarely have this type of customer to refer. I can only say Thank You. I suppose John refers to me because in his opinion the consumer is better off paying my lower fee and spending their money to take care of their children; rather than paying his fee and their having to stretch financially to pay it. In all these years, only once has there been a problem. The soon to be ex disputed jurisdiction for the divorce as the couple still had marital property in another state. I referred her back to John, then she came back and asked me to prepare a voluntary motion to dismiss. Which I did at no cost.

Even more than I appreciate the compensation John's referrals bring, I appreciate the respect he gives me by sending his clients my way.

On the other hand, I recently severed ties with an attorney, we'll call her Mary. She and I had an arrangement in which she would offer my customers a low cost consultation; and then in theory send them back to me for document preparation. No one ever came back. It was a legal Bermuda Triangle. She had presented herself to me as an advocate for pro se litigants and a friend to Florida document preparers. Although it took me a while to catch on, the truth came out. Beware the wolf in sheep's clothing. I was blind sided, and I have yet to forgive myself for that. She displays the following on her site:

" ... many people are opting to use document preparers who can complete divorce forms at low cost, affordable rates. And while this is an attractive option, most document preparers have little or no legal training or experience outside of document preparation. ..."

That statement isn't particularly true. Most document preparers have extensive experience and academic training, including B.A. degrees in Legal Studies; paralegal certificates; years of law firm experience; JD degrees; law degrees from other states or countries; and lots of hands on experience. A few document preparers are self taught - graduates of the school of hard knocks.

The first big difference between John and Scarey Mary is that John wants to serve the consumer; while Mary wants to serve herself. The second difference is that John is established in his profession; while Mary is competing with nonlawyer lay practitioners. As a consumer, that in itself would be enough to scare me away from Mary. Did she, and other attorneys of her ilk, really go to law school to learn how to fill out forms. Scarey. Mary.


1 comment:

  1. I would question law students on why they remain silent on the lack of substantive legal document processing skills they are given for their $150K? If the goal is to have "document processing" fall into the realm of what a lawyer does, then train them. Until then, LDP's shouldn't be persecuted for doing the work that that the legal system demands. But that's just one non-lawyers opinion.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!