Friday, May 9, 2014

Response from Senator Bill Nelson regarding Net Neutrality

 Thank you for contacting me regarding net neutrality.  I share your concern for a fair and open Internet.
 
     On April 30, I sent a letter to Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Chairman Tom Wheeler asking him to take steps to ensure that the Internet remains open and accessible to all users and content providers.  Specifically, I asked Chairman Wheeler to avoid a framework in the FCC's proposed Open Internet Notice of Proposed Rulemaking that would allow some content providers to sign “paid prioritization" or "fast lane" agreements with Internet Service Providers (ISPs).  This approach could upset the basic concept of an open Internet by creating a "two-tier" system of access that would be very difficult to remedy in the future.
 
     I also asked Chairman Wheeler to carefully consider the current legal framework for ISPs, and seek additional comment on whether it would be beneficial to reclassify ISPs as telecommunications common carriers under Title II of the Communications Act, instead of their current deregulated treatment under section 706 of the Communications Act.
 
     I have a long history of fighting for a free and open Internet and remain committed to this goal.  Thank you again for contacting me on this important issue, and please do not hesitate to contact me in the future.
 
                                   Sincerely,
                                   Bill Nelson
 
P.S. From time to time, I compile electronic news briefs highlighting key issues and hot topics of particular importance to Floridians.  If you'd like to receive these e-briefs, visit my Web site and sign up for them at http://billnelson.senate.gov/news/ebriefs.cfm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!