Saturday, April 19, 2014

I Count Myself Lucky

In 1972 Ms. Magazine was published for the first time. The Equal Rights Amendment (ERA) was for many years the cornerstone of a grassroots push - equal pay for equal work. In 2014 there remains disparity between women's earnings and men's for the same work. It's a shame.

My personal belief is that women often fail to demand to be paid for their full value. Some women tend to be hesitant to ask for more -- when more is exactly what they deserve. I have always shied away from the pink collar ghettos, work places traditionally dominated by women, and traditionally low paid. When I worked for others, I trained myself to only accept positions where males were my peers so that I could put forth the argument for equal pay for equal work.

As an employee, I have worked as a food server, printing press operator, graphic designer, and most often as a salesperson. As a salesperson, I learned many life lessons.

1. Don't work for crooks. My mama always told me that, but sometimes its hard to know the difference at the outset. But once you know that the organization or boss is not on the up and up, its time to go. If the organization is dishonest they will eventually deceive you. Eventually you will either find yourself caught up in their web of deception or they will turn against you.

2. Demand to be paid for your value. In most companies, it is considered bad form to discuss salary with co-workers. Some work places even demand compliance with this rule right in their company handbook. I never went with that, I always tried to find out what others earned. I asked. Some people will tell you its not your business and are offended, others will just say. Employers don't like such discussions, because they much prefer to keep you ignorant. Sales organizations are usually very open about what everyone is earning, commissions are transparent. If you sell x, you are paid y.

3. Keep your own integrity. Set your own standards. You have to be able to look yourself in the mirror every day. Even if it is the norm in the company to do something you do not approve of, it doesn't mean you have to do it. You may not last very long at that workplace if you refuse to go along to get along. But, who cares? Why would you want to stay at a company that condones poor customer service, shoddy workmanship, unsafe practices, or illegal acts?

4. Follow your heart. Do what you love, and love what you do. I count myself lucky.

5. If you can discover that you are your own favorite boss, I think you'll be a happier person. I think so, but I don't know. If I close my eyes, I imagine that not everyone is cut out to work for themselves. But its hard for me to see it. I understand that some people like the constancy of a regular pay check; prefer to be told what to do; and would rather leave work at the end of the day and forget about it. I live and breathe my work, because I love what I do. I have worked in my own business or self-employed for so long, I know that the financial hills and valleys are just part of the landscape. If a valley is too long and too deep, time to make adjustments, that's all. And I've never been too keen on anyone telling me what to do, how to do it, or when to do it. My attitude was quite irritating to many employers. I am better suited to being my own boss. Are you?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!